In my mind, the question is not whether President Trump is an asset of Putin’s Russia, but whether he knows it. Just as the 9/11 terrorist attack on the World Trade Center succeeded far beyond Bin Laden’s greatest hope, Donald Trump has accomplished far more for Putin than Putin could ever have hoped. This is due to the cowering Congressional Republicans. I am sure Putin can’t believe how far the Republicans have allowed President Trump to go. Now President Trump and Putin seem to be seeing if there is anything President Trump might do which will cause Congressional Republicans to move against President Trump. The betrayal of the Kurds may just be it, but I doubt it.
It seems almost every day President Trump does something that benefits Russia. Clearly, he is a Russian asset. The only question in my mind is whether he signed up or is unwittingly helping Russia. The betrayal of the Kurds makes it hard to believe he doesn’t know what he’s doing.
As I understand it, President Erdoğan, Turkey’s president, called Putin and then called Trump to ask him to remove troops from the Kurdish/Turkey border. Trump immediately complied without consulting anyone else. This was known to be a green light for Turkey to launch its assault on the Kurds. It just doesn’t make any sense, even for Trump, unless it was intended to help Putin’s Russia. So that raises the question of why Trump would do Putin’s bidding so obviously. Well, the Steele Dossier identified a number of potential blackmail items (Kompromat) Putin may have on Trump. The following list of Kompromat from the Steele Dossier comes from Wikipedia:
“Kompromat and blackmail: Trump”
- “That Trump “hated” Obama so much that when he stayed in the Presidential suite of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Moscow, he employed “a number of prostitutes to perform a ‘golden showers’ (urination) show in front of him” in order to defile the bed used by the Obamas on an earlier visit. The alleged incident from 2013 was reportedly filmed and recorded by the FSB as kompromat. (Dossier, p. 2)
- “That Trump was susceptible to blackmail due to paying bribes and the existence of “embarrassing material” due to engagement in “perverted sexual acts” and “unorthodox behavior” in Russia, “enough embarrassing material…to be able to blackmail him if they so wished.” (Dossier, pp. 1–2, 8, 11, 27)
- “That the Kremlin had promised Trump they would not use the kompromat collected against him “as leverage, given high levels of voluntary co-operation forthcoming from his team.” (Dossier, pp. 11–12)
- “That Trump had explored the real estate sectors in St. Petersburg and Moscow, “but in the end TRUMP had had to settle for the use of extensive sexual services there from local prostitutes rather than business success”. (Dossier, p. 8)
- “That Trump has pursued real estate deals in St. Petersburg, and “paid bribes there to further his interests”. That witnesses to his “sex parties in the city” had been “‘silenced’ i.e. bribed or coerced to disappear.” (Dossier, p. 27)
- “That Trump associates did not fear “the negative media publicity surrounding alleged Russian interference”, because it distracted attention from his “business dealings in China and other emerging markets”, which involved “large bribes and kickbacks” that could be devastating if revealed. (Dossier, p. 8)”
In addition, there are indications President Trump laundered Russian money through real estate deals in the United States and Russian money may have otherwise rescued him.
If treason under the U.S. Constitution includes giving aid and comfort to the enemy, it seems to me President Trump’s actions qualify if Russia is technically an enemy. I don’t know the answer to that, but it seems it very well might be.
In any event, all of this raises the question in my mind if Putin has promised President Trump that he will extract him if/when things get too hot. Just asking. Of course, Putin would never actually do it. Putin is former KGB after all. Trump is just a chump.